The biennial AfriSam-SAIA Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation is arguably South Africa’s most prestigious platform for recognising the contributions that bring sustainable innovation to human living environments through an integrated approach to communities, planning, design, architecture, building practice, natural systems and technology.
A rigorous adjudication process ensures that awarded projects represent the top best-practice examples of sustainability in the built environment the country has to offer. “The emphasis is no longer on just the architecture and building practice,” adds Kevin Bingham, Vice President of SAIA. Therefore AfriSam-SAIA Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation had broadened the scope to four award categories:
- Sustainable Architecture
- Research in Sustainability
- Sustainable Products and Technology
- Sustainable Social Programmes
All four categories are geared towards the recognition of regenerative whole systems design. Project entries are required to demonstrate their positive impact through the embodiment of sound sustainable practices, carrying the hallmarks of great architectural or social design and demonstrating innovative thinking in the field of sustainability.
Project entries should demonstrate how they embody sound sustainable practices, which bear the hallmarks of great architectural or social design and innovative thinking in the field of sustainability, to improve our world. In particular, projects should:
- harmonise the use of resources with the conservation and strengthening of ecosystems (natural, social, human, financial, infrastructure).
- address the dignity of people through the creation of a socio-economic environment that is inclusionary, humane, self-sustaining, maximises the financial viability and impact, and acknowledges life-cycle cost efficiency during and post the implementation process and contribute towards and develop an ongoing regenerative future.
- enhance the architectural landscape and contextual urban and built environment including infusion of delight.
To support this, four key criteria will be considered by the adjudicators – Harmonisation, People Upliftment, Evolutionary Paradigm and Placemaking Performance.
A planned CPD accredited webinar series that will discuss and unpack the entry criteria and pertinent issues around sustainability is in the works – for details and confirmed dates keep an eye on our social media platforms or your email inbox.
Entries for the 2017/18 AfriSam-SAIA Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation close at 00:00 on March 24 2018